Quantcast
Don't Miss

Washington Monument damage assessment continuing

WASHINGTON — The National Park Service is preparing to provide an update on damage to the Washington Monument, but there’s no indication that the structure will be reopening to the public soon.

Last month’s earthquake caused several cracks to form at the top of the 555-foot monument. It’s been closed since the 5.8-magnitude quake struck on Aug. 23.

Park service spokesman Bill Line says engineers still have not completed their work assessing damage to the monument and determining how best to repair it. Line says the cracks will need to be filled in temporarily as part of the monument’s winterization, which it undergoes every year. Filling in the cracks will prevent snow and water from causing additional damage.

Engineers will speak at a news conference Monday afternoon about the ongoing damage assessment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

 
Scroll To Top