Lawyer: Paternity suit against Michael Jordan withdrawn
Posted: 3:08 pm Mon, March 18, 2013
ATLANTA — A lawyer for a woman who says Michael Jordan fathered her teenage son has withdrawn her paternity suit, but left open the possibility that it could be refiled.
Pamela Smith “stands by the facts alleged in her original filing,” Atlanta attorney Randall Kessler told The Associated Press on Monday.
Kessler said the lawsuit was withdrawn Friday without prejudice, meaning it can be refiled.
Smith filed the suit herself last month against Jordan and asked that the basketball hall of famer take a paternity test and pay child support. She later hired Kessler’s firm.
Jordan has denied that he’s the father of Smith’s 16-year-old son. A lawyer for the majority owner of the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats has said Smith’s divorce filings established her ex-husband as the father.
Jordan’s spokeswoman Estee Portnoy on Monday confirmed that Smith dismissed the paternity suit. Portnoy said there was no settlement or money paid to Smith. She said the lawsuit had no merit.
Kessler previously said the ex-husband hasn’t paid child support or been involved in the teen’s life.
Smith “began this case without an attorney and did her best to file what she believed to be a legally appropriate case,” Kessler said in a statement. “She then hired our firm just before the first court appearance. Ms. Smith has relied on our advice and determined that dismissal at this time, without prejudice, is in her son’s best interests.”
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.