Mar 25, 2011
1. Baltimore restaurateur is going Hollywood – by Jon Sham
In the second installment of our “Sweat Equity” multimedia series, we meet the new owner of the Hollywood Diner, who is hoping both the location and the celebrity of the place will help usher in diners looking for an inexpensive — yet delicious — meal.
2. Md. wine shipping bill is poised to pass – by Nicholas Sohr
Poised to allow Marylanders to receive wine shipments from winemakers, the General Assembly faces the prospect of grappling with the same issue next year as advocates seek an expanded shipping law.
3. Prime Rib’s Beler to receive top culinary award – by Wayne Countryman
Buzz Beler, owner of The Prime Rib in Baltimore, will receive the Silver Plate Award in the Independent Restaurants category on May 23 at the 2011 International Foodservice Manufacturers Association’s awards celebration.
4. Dew Tour coming to Ocean City this summer – by Rachel Bernstein
Members of the resort’s City Council confirmed Tuesday that Alliance of Action Sports, or Alli, which coordinates the Dew Tour, notified city officials Monday of the decision. Alli had also been considering Virginia Beach, Va., as a destination for the start of the Dew Tour this summer.
5. Ex-NBA player rep admits to income tax evasion, mortgage fraud – by Ben Mook
A Silver Spring man who has represented an NBA All-Star and is a partner in a growing urban clothing line now faces up to 10 years in prison for cheating the government out of more than $1 million in income taxes and providing false information on mortgage loans over the last nine years.