Asked: Our weekly question to the In-House community
The former general counsel of the National Security Agency talked leaks with NPR recently.
Joel Brenner talked to the news organization about the recent national security leaks the country has been abuzz about this month. Various news organizations, including The New York Times, published stories with hyper-secret information like the country’s drone strike policy, a United States cyberattack against Iran and information about an al-Qaida cell in Yemen.
Here’s what Brenner had to say:
“There are [also] people who leak because the process of being courted by a reporter is so flattering,” Brenner told NPR. “It so increases peoples’ sense of self-importance that they will want to talk.”
So, while your company may not deal in secrets that could affect the security of the entire nation, every corporation has information it wants to keep among employees.
So, here’s our question for you:
How do you and your company deal with leaks and employees telling the press or anyone confidential information?
Leave a comment below or email me.
Need to Know:
- Leslie M. Turner got some sweet news. The Hershey Company named her its new Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, effective July 9. Chocolate bars all around.
- The University of Arizona also named a new general counsel.
- Mark Khalil will take over as executive vice president, general counsel, and secretary at Sony Corporation of America.
- Association of Corporate Counsel named its ACC Value Champions, choosing five in-house departments that showed good business sense.
- To get more in-house counsel news, sign up for our FREE monthly email newsletter, In-House Counsel. The newsletter is a compilation of The Daily Record’s coverage of in-house counsel news as well as job listings, movements within the industry and other resources. Click here to sign up today.
- Follow us on Twitter for the In-House news and discussion: @TDRInHouse
- Want the latest on who’s been hired, fired or moving and shaking in between? Head to our Movers and Shakers page to find out.
- For networking events and other happenings this week in Maryland, check out our calendar of events.
- Get the very latest updates from our law reporters on Twitter: @TDRKristi, @BenMook, @Steve_Lash
- Check out The Daily Record on Facebook.