Jul 5, 2012
Not surprisingly, this week’s question is all about the Supreme Court’s healthcare decision last week. We know everyone else is talking about it, but, hey, that just means all you general counsels are talking about it, too.
Asked: Our weekly question to the In-House community
General counsels are taking center stage this week in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s healthcare decision. The Supreme Court voted to uphold President Barack Obama’s healthcare overhaul, including a requirement that individuals buy insurance.
General counsels both at healthcare companies and companies across the board that offer health insurance will be talking about the effects of the decision this week. Corporate Counsel talked to a general counsel who recommended a course of action in light of the decision.
According to the article, counsels should prepare for the decision in advance, mostly by letting potentially affected divisions of the company know how this could affect them. A general counsel should keep management in the loop for both scenarios and be ready to take action when the decision is made.
So, here’s our question for you:
How are you and your company dealing internally with the Supreme Court’s decision on healthcare?
Leave a comment below or email me.
Need to Know:
- The biggest general counsel news this week is that Yahoo announced longtime general counsel Michael J. Callahan resigned. He leaves amid the legal department’s ongoing investigation into former CEO Scott Thompson’s academic record.
- PetSmart Inc. has a new general counsel.
- Our intern, @MattOwings (follow him!), takes a look at how local general counsels handle social media policies.
- Ever wonder what it’s like to be the in-house counsel for The Walt Disney Company India?
- Above The Law has advice on finding an in-house job.
- Corporate Counsel looks at the challenges of hiring an international outside counsel.
- Female general counsels say networking is the key to success.
- More lawyers are going in-house in Western Australia, mate.
- To get more in-house counsel news, sign up for our FREE monthly email newsletter, In-House Counsel. The newsletter is a compilation of The Daily Record’s coverage of in-house counsel news as well as job listings, movements within the industry and other resources. Click here to sign up today.
- Follow us on Twitter for the In-House news and discussion: @TDRInHouse
- Want the latest on who’s been hired, fired or moving and shaking in between? Head to our Movers and Shakers page to find out.
- For networking events and other happenings this week in Maryland, check out our calendar of events.
- Get the very latest updates from our law reporters on Twitter: @TDRKristi, @BenMook, @Steve_Lash
- Check out The Daily Record on Facebook.