Syracuse University’s general counsel announced he would retire at the end of this school year. The school’s student newspaper, The Daily Orange, wrote an editorial with a wish list of qualities the staff would like to see in a new general counsel.
The students mainly requested an attorney from one of the top 200 law firms in the country. The former general counsel, Thomas Evans, came from Bond, Schoeneck & King PLLC, which is ranked No. 202 by the National Law Journal, and the students requested the new GC come from a different law firm.
The students also advocated for a younger attorney, who still has significant experience, to start in the position so he or she could be with the university for the long haul (Evans had been on the job since 1972).
So, here’s our question for you:
What are the specific qualities an attorney needs to work in-house at a university?
Leave a comment below or email me.
Need to Know:
- The United States Defense Department’s general counsel talked about what will happen after the war against Al Qaeda is over.
- Indiana’s governor-elect named a general counsel to his staff.
- An Indiana judge rules State Farm insurance did not have to inform policyholders that it uses in-house counsel rather than outside attorneys to defend them in third-party litigation.
- Facebook plans to increase its legal staff by 38 percent by the end of next year.
- Former Freddie Mac GC moves from SNR Denton to Greenberg Traurig LLP.
- Facebooks ex-general counsel backs Amazon.com start-up.
Follow us on Twitter for In-House news and discussion: @TDRInHouse
- Want the latest on who’s been hired, fired or moving and shaking in between? Head to our Movers and Shakers page to find out.
- For networking events and other happenings this week in Maryland, check out our calendar of events.
- Get the very latest updates from our law reporters on Twitter: @TDRKristi, @Steve_Lash, @TDRBeth
- Check out The Daily Record on Facebook.