Jan 18, 2008 0
The American Kennel Club reports that for the 17th consecutive year, Labrador Retriever is the most popular breed in the country (aww… just look at that adorable face).
“Baltimore is considered a working-class port town whose roots run deep,” says AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “So it’s no surprise that the Rottweiler—a member of the Working Group—would continue to move up Baltimore’s top 10 list.”
Here’s the top 10 registered breeds in Baltimore, compared to the rest of the country:
1. Labrador Retriever (Nationally: Labrador Retriever)
2. Golden Retriever (Nationally: Yorkshire Terrier)
3. Boxer (Nationally: German Shepherd)
4. Yorkshire Terrier (Nationally: Golden Retriever)
5. German Shepherd (Nationally: Beagle)
6. Pug (Nationally: Boxer)
7. Poodle (Nationally: Daschund)
8. Daschund (Nationally: Poodle)
9. Rottweiler (Nationally: Shih Tzu)
10. Bulldog (Nationally: Bulldog)
A Baltimore-area Border Collie, “Christopher,” will compete for Best in Show (and $50 grand) at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship on Saturday, Feb. 2. The show will air on Discovery’s Animal Planet from 8-11p.m.
JACKIE SAUTER, Multimedia Editor