Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Show goes on for ‘Law of 24′

Despite the writers’ strike in Hollywood effectively halting production of the Fox Network television show “24,” the academic show must go on for the Georgetown law professor who is teaching a counterterrorism law course based on the series.

The course, taught by adjunct law professor Walter Gary Sharp Sr., takes the fictional reactions to international terrorism presented in the show and uses them as a series of hypotheticals for classroom discussion. The idea was featured in a November Daily Record article (subscriber-only link).

Sharp said Monday that he is excited for the course’s premier this week and that 24’s delay would not affect the class material and discussion, as the curriculum (PDF) is based on scenarios raised in prior seasons.

However, he said, new episodes “would’ve helped generate more interest” during the class discussions.

“This particular season also dealt with cyber issues and we would’ve been talking about that at the end of the semester,” Sharp added. “So [the strike] impacts it a little bit.”

The year’s first episode of “24” was scheduled to air Sunday, Jan. 13, two days before the first class meeting. Many other network hits are affected by the strike, including NBC’s “The Office,” CBS’s “How I Met Your Mother,” and ABC’s “Desperate Housewives” and “Grey’s Anatomy,” which have all had production shut down.

The writers strike by the Writers Guild of America, West and the WGA, East began on Nov. 5, 2007. Key issues at stake are DVD residuals, union jurisdiction over animation and reality program writers and compensation for new media (for example, Web content).

LIZ FARMER, Legal Affairs Writer