Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Brides-to-be bring their “A” game

The parking lots of most of the stores at Towson Marketplace are pretty empty at 7 a.m. on a Friday morning. But as I circled around the back of the complex toward Filene’s Basement for the annual “Running of the Brides”, it was mayhem.

With more than 200 cars and several television trucks, I knew this wasn’t going to be an ordinary morning in Towson.

Over one hundred brides-to-be and their entourages lined up outside of the store as early as 4 p.m. Thursday from all over the country. Over 1,600 designer gowns were available for sale, discounted in price to between $249 – $699.

When the doors finally opened at 8 a.m., it was pandemonium.

The floor shook and many employees closed their eyes as they tried to keep the racks stable and avoid getting trampled.

Within two minutes, the racks were bare as some brides-to-be and their friends took 20 gowns to try on.

As of 3:30 p.m., store manager Bill Randall said that 200 dresses had been sold, already beating last year’s mark of 175.

The most compelling story of the day was the first person in line, Stephanie Miller of Baltimore County, who arrived at Filene’s with her mother at 4 p.m. Thursday. After she found her dress at 8:50 a.m., she left for the University of Maryland-College Park to make a 12:30 p.m. speech to undergraduates considering graduate school.

Talk about stamina.

Check out the full video from the event below.

RICHARD SIMON, Multimedia Reporter

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/gh-Rh8oDmsk" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

One comment

1. Uhh… wow. Just wow.