ROCKVILLE – Convicted triple rapist Timothy Joseph Buzbee, whose violent spree terrorized a Montgomery County community in the early 1980s, will stand trial for four additional rapes he allegedly committed between 1977 and 1980, Montgomery County State’s Attorney John J. McCarthy said Thursday.
Buzbee, who was dubbed the “Aspen Hill rapist” for the three attacks in 1981 and 1982, was indicted by a Montgomery County grand jury on charges that he had earlier raped women in Rockville, Silver Spring and Wheaton.
County prosecutors were able to secure the indictment after biological evidence retrieved from the four victims was subjected to DNA tests that were unavailable when rapes occurred, McCarthy said.
The DNA matched Buzbee’s, McCarthy said.
Buzbee, 52, has been serving three concurrent life sentences for the three rapes committed the early 1980s but is currently eligible for parole, county officials said. McCarthy will seek life sentences on each of the four additional rapes for which Buzbee was charged and indicted, according to the charging documents.
A scheduling order, including the date of trial, will be issued within a week, McCarthy said.
Leading Buzbee’s prosecution will be Deputy Montgomery County State’s Attorney John Maloney and Debra Grimes, head of McCarthy’s cold-case unit, he added.
The police force’s cold-case division re-investigates unsolved crimes that go back decades in many cases, such as the four rapes. Investigators subject old evidence to new technologies, such as DNA comparison, in an effort to catch the culprits, said Montgomery County Police Chief J. Thomas Manger.
“The cold-case guys,” Manger said. “Their job’s never done.”