Kardon, former editor of Daily Record, dies

Fred Kardon, a former top editor of The Maryland Daily Record during a time of great change at the paper and in the news industry, died Sunday in South Carolina. He was 70.

Kardon’s time at The Daily Record stretched from July 1999 to May 2002. He ran the news operation while the paper launched a revamped website, covered the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and coped with their aftermath. His 40-year career included stops in Massachusetts and Illinois.

He was tall and lean, spoke with an unmistakable Boston accent, often favored three-piece suits and wore a mane of gray hair and a diamond stud in his left ear.

Friends and family said Kardon never strayed from the skills that made him an effective journalist for over four decades.

“As he was a journalist, he was intensely interested in people,” said Sharen Kardon, his wife. “When we went to parties he was in the corner, asking questions, interviewing people. Not for a story — he just wanted to know what made people tick.”

Kardon’s classmates in The Leadership voted him their keynote graduation speaker in 2000 after witnessing his questioning of lecturers throughout the year.

“He asked intelligent questions, and he wasn’t one of those people who spoke too much or too little,” said Jan Houbolt, the program’s executive director. “He chose his spots.”

Kardon gave an “inspiring speech” on community service, Houbolt said.

Kardon joined The Daily Record after the ouster of his predecessor in the summer of 1999. Daily Record President Christopher A. Eddings, who had hired Kardon into a similar position at a chain of weeklies outside Boston, said, “I was looking for somebody who I had absolute faith in.”

Eddings, who was also publisher of The Daily Record at the time, said Kardon was active in the community and engaged readers to find what the paper should be doing for them. The pair learned their lesson the hard way at the Lexington (Mass.) Minuteman after cutting a bridge column, to the consternation of a small, but vocal, group of readers.

“Just because not everybody reads something doesn’t mean it isn’t very, very important to some readers,” said Eddings. “And I think Fred carried that forward with him.”

Kardon redesigned the Saturday edition of The Daily Record and oversaw the launch of the new website in September 2000. The site was staffed by a full-time web team of three, and replaced one that Kardon called “relatively stagnant.”

Mark Cheshire, who succeeded Kardon as top editor of The Daily Record, said Kardon gave many in the newsroom a hand in crafting the paper’s coverage of Sept. 11.

Cheshire said Kardon “would put you out there, give you responsibility, but not let you fall.”

The two played golf every Wednesday before work, as long as they could stand the cold. They hit the 12-hole Carroll Park course before dawn and Kardon always won.

“He passed along a lifetime’s worth of lessons, both professional and familial,” Cheshire said. “He taught me how to be a better husband, and a better father.”

Kardon died after a two-year battle with acute myeloid leukemia. He is survived by daughter Rachel Schmoyer, son Scott Kardon and step-daughter Heather Abbott, and his mother, Rose Kardon.

And it was from his daughter and step-daughter, then teenagers, that the earring became part of Kardon’s persona.

“We were trying to get them closer to one another, and somebody said, I don’t know who, ‘Fred should get his ears pierced,’” Sharen said. “So the two girls dragged him into a store and made him get his ear pierced. They were very proud of that.”

After retiring to South Carolina, Kardon collected antique golf clubs and worked as a starter at the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island. He kept the earring in a box in his pocket to comply with the dress code.

Sharen Kardon said many of their friends there were seasonal visitors who met him on the course. He played one friend in a weeklong “tournament” every year.

The prize? A Tiger Woods bobblehead doll.

Rebecca Snyder, general manager of The Daily Record, said Kardon was “just a tremendous leader and coach.”

“You always felt that he knew where we needed to end up,” she said, “and how to get us there.”


  1. My wife and I compliment you for this story. We had the remarkable privilege of working with Fred in Massachusetts when we approached him about writing a travel page in the suburban newspaper chain that he was overseeing. He was incisive, brilliant, kind and progressive. Twenty years and many editors later, he remains the best we’ve ever known. A newspaper man through and through, a natural leader and a fantastic human being– there was no better than Fred Kardon.

  2. Sharen and family,

    I was saddened to hear of your loss. Please accept our deepest condolences during this difficult time.

    Mary & Grant

  3. Len and Alice Lazure

    Heard about Fred from Dolores yesterday and just wanted to know that you are in our thoughts. I feel very fortunate for having caught up with you both at Bill C’s surprise birthday party. It was great knowing you both during what I always felt was the heyday of journalism. We worked hard, loved our jobs and had a great time. Fred was a classy guy who you could not see for 20 years and make you feel like it was yesterday. Len and Alice

  4. Fred could have been a success in any number of fields but he loved newspapers, and it showed in his work. He had a contagious charm about him that radiated warmth and humanity. A uniuque individual with worlds of talent. My sympathy to Sharen and the family.

  5. I love you, Mom.

  6. I remember Mr. Kardon; and my sympathy goes out to his family and friends. As a former employee in the editorial department of TDR from 2000-2002, I recall standing and listening to Mr. Kardon (with his attention-grabbing – yet calming – Boston accent)at Monday-morning staff meetings. He was an admirable man.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *