Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Ex-UPS worker gets 100 years for home invasions

GREENBELT — A man awaiting trial in the killings of a nurse and her 20-year-old daughter was sentenced to 100 years in prison Tuesday for a violent crime spree involving dozens of armed home invasions and burglaries in Maryland.

Jason Scott was sentenced in federal court for crimes committed during more than 50 burglaries and nine armed home invasion robberies that terrorized residents of Prince George’s County, in suburban Washington.

He was convicted in July following a three-week trial in which prosecutors portrayed him as a calculating criminal. They said he was a former UPS worker who had used a database at the facility where he worked to target homes he wanted to burglarize and who was adept at covering his tracks and throwing off police. According to authorities, he would case homes beforehand to study how many people lived there, disable alarm systems by cutting phone lines and traveled the region with a backpack of burglary tools and a scanner and earpiece he used to listen to police chatter.

Wearing a black mask and armed with a handgun, prosecutors say he broke into homes — sometimes by smashing glass windows and doors — as children slept inside, held up victims at gunpoint and made off with televisions, cars, computers and safes, prosecutors said.

In one case, authorities said, he sexually assaulted a 17-year-old girl after breaking into her family’s Fort Washington home with a cinder block and forced her to pose nude on a bed as he took photographs and videos of her. Authorites said in another case, Scott and an accomplice, Marcus Dermanellian Hunter — who has already pleaded guilty to federal firearms charges — held up a Bowie family at gunpoint in April 2009, used their debit cards to steal money from ATM machines and then stole a luxury car.

Scott faces separate murder charges in the deaths of Delores Dewitt, a nurse, and her daughter, Ebony. The bodies of the women were found inside the trunk of a burning car in Largo in March 2009. That case is scheduled for trial later this year in Prince George’s County Circuit Court.

Scott and Hunter also broke into a firearms dealer and stole more than three dozen weapons, including semi-automatic rifles, authorities said. They add that he sold some of the guns from the UPS facility where he worked to a person who was cooperating with federal authorities.

Scott has been in custody since his July 1, 2009 arrest, when authorities searching his bedroom and car reported finding more than a dozen stolen guns, ammunition and holsters and ski masks and gloves.