Quantcast

Court of Appeals disbars former P.G. County Executive Jack Johnson

Maryland’s top court has disbarred former Prince George’s County Executive Jack Johnson.


The Court of Appeals court issued an order disbarring Johnson on Friday.

Johnson, the county executive from 2002 to 2010, was sentenced to more than seven years in prison last month after pleading guilty to extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from developers and accepting assorted gifts.

Johnson was the county executive from 2002 until 2010.

During the criminal investigation of Johnson, federal authorities tapped his phone and heard him directing his wife to flush down the toilet an illicit $100,000 check from a developer and to stuff nearly $80,000 in cash in her undergarments. FBI agents had arrived at the couple’s home after witnessing Jack Johnson receive $15,000 from a developer.

The disbarment further marked a precipitous fall for Johnson, who put himself through college before becoming the county’s top prosecutor and ultimately its powerful executive. At his sentencing, Johnson said he was “haunted” by his actions and had ruined his reputation and the faith his former constituents in Prince George’s — the nation’s most affluent majority-black county — had placed

“In my wildest dreams, I could not imagine being in a place like this. I worked so hard for the people of this county and I achieved so much,” Johnson said.

One comment

  1. Gee. Wonderful to hear that he was disbarred. Just another waste of my tax dollars and the Courts time deciding that a criminal serving time should be disbarred. You got-ta love Maryland. Maybe he can apply for reconsideration and reinstatement on his release. I for one would, and with a few envelopes placed in the right hands, I’m confident I’d be up and running again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*