Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Officer describes Huguely injuries at U.Va. murder trial

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — A former University of Virginia lacrosse player accused of killing his ex-girlfriend had bruises and scrapes on his legs, arms and knuckles hours after her body was found, a police officer testified Monday.

George Huguely V

Patrolman Jeremy Carper testified in Charlottesville Circuit Court about police photographs he took of George Huguely V on May 3, 2010, the day 22-year-old Yeardley Love was found dead in her apartment bedroom of blunt-force trauma.

Under questioning by prosecutor David Chapman, Carper described visible injuries on Huguely that included scrapes on his forearms and legs and bruised or reddened knuckles. Huguely was wearing shorts the night Love was found dead.

During testimony last week, the first detective to question Huguely about Love’s slaying asked him about bruised knuckles she had seen and he said they were the result of playing lacrosse.

Huguely attorney Francis McQ. Lawrence made that connection in court Monday as well before Chapman objected to his line of questioning.

Huguely, 24, is on trial on first-degree murder and other charges, including the theft of Love’s laptop computer. The prosecution contends Huguely went to her apartment after an alcohol-fueled day of golf and slammed her head repeatedly against the wall of her bedroom. A gaping hole was left in her bedroom door.

The defense, which has not presented any witnesses, has suggested Love’s death was an accident, and possibly related to her use of a prescription medicine for attention deficit disorder. The prosecution has presented medical experts who cast doubt on that theory.

Witnesses who testified last week described their relationship as sputtering, with each accusing the other of being unfaithful. The prosecution said an email from Huguely to Love in the days before a threat “I should have killed you” after he learned of an infidelity.

Huguely said in a police interrogation hours after her body was found that he had gone to her apartment to talk the night of her death. He acknowledged their encounter became physical but denied causing her death.

The prosecution has called a parade of police officers who had some role in the investigation. Three officers testified Monday about the collection of fingerprints, physical evidence and finding Love’s computer in a dump bin.

The prosecution contends Huguely took the computer to hide the threatening email.

Huguely has pleaded not guilty to murder and five other charges in connection with Love’s death. Both seniors, Love was from suburban Baltimore, while Huguely is from Chevy Chase.

If convicted of first-degree murder, Huguely could be sentenced to life in prison.