Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Donna’s, other restaurants not returning to rebuilt Park Plaza building

Nearly 18 months after a fire gutted the historic Park Plaza building in Mount Vernon, workers are putting the finishing touches on a $6 million renovation — sans three of the structure’s culinary tenants.

Connie Caplan, owner of the building and chairman of The Time Group, said Monday that restaurants My Thai, Donna’s and Indigma would not be returning to the 45,000-square-foot Park Plaza when it formally reopens this summer.

Donna’s has another location about five miles away in Charles Village and one at Cross Keys. The owners, Donna Crivello and Alan Hirsch, recently closed the Donna’s in Columbia.

Indigma opened in a location across the street last year.

“While we were not able to bring back any of the former restaurant tenants, we are in active negotiation with a number of prospects who we believe will enhance the great dining and retail choices already available in the neighborhood,” Dominic Wiker, director of development for the Time Group, said in a statement.

Wiker said other former tenants including Maryland Capital Management, the Fund for Educational Excellence, EML Partners, Ramer Equities and Zenith Health Care will be moving back into the building, and new tenants include CharlesMead Advisors LLC and Floura Teeter Landscape Architects.

A five-alarm fire in early December 2010 ripped through the Park Plaza, damaging most of the historic building’s interior. The building, located at the corner of Charles and Madison streets, was built in 1842 as a 25-room mansion with adjoining carriage house. It is listed on the Mount Vernon National Historic Landmark District.

Caplan’s son, Mark, who is president and CEO of the Time Group, said the 14-month restoration of Park Plaza was designed by architects Marks Thomas.

Donna’s co-owner Hirsch did not return a phone call seeking comment, but he told The Baltimore Sun that the restaurant might reopen elsewhere in Mount Vernon, saying they hoped to have a deal done within a month.