Asked: Our weekly question to the In-House community
Most law schools don’t have classes that specifically prepare attorneys for jobs as in-house counsels. And in today’s unsteady economy, more law students are thinking of going directly into in-house careers, a trend we reported among Maryland schools in May.
An article in Corporate Counsel contemplates what kinds of classes would be required for a theoretical general counsel degree. One in-house counsel recommends a course on lean management, another on learning your business and understanding its revenue stream. Another general counsel suggests courses on interacting with business partners and business writing.
So, here’s our question for you:
If a school for general counsels existed, what courses should be offered?
Leave a comment below or email me.
Need to Know:
- One of the biggest moves in the in-house counsel world this week is Freddie Mac naming William H. McDavid its new executive vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary.
- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s Office of Compliance and Inspections hired a new chief counsel.
- The Defense Logistics Agency named a new deputy general counsel.
- The former general counsel for General Electric’s Asia Pacific branch took an advisory position with Chinese law firm JT&N.
- Find out how pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline has saved millions by revamping its hiring and billing system for outside counsel.
- In international general counsel news, the chief legal officer for Deutsche Bank is leaving for a post at German steel and industrial conglomerate, ThyssenKrupp.
- A British general counsel talks about how accountants rule the business world in England.
- Anti-corruption work is the top priority for in-house departments in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, according to a new study.
- To get more in-house counsel news, sign up for our FREE monthly email newsletter, In-House Counsel. The newsletter is a compilation of The Daily Record’s coverage of in-house counsel news as well as job listings, movements within the industry and other resources. Click here to sign up today.
- Follow us on Twitter for the In-House news and discussion: @TDRInHouse
- Want the latest on who’s been hired, fired or moving and shaking in between? Head to our Movers and Shakers page to find out.
- For networking events and other happenings this week in Maryland, check out our calendar of events.
- Get the very latest updates from our law reporters on Twitter: @TDRKristi, @BenMook, @Steve_Lash
- Check out The Daily Record on Facebook.