Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Carbon monoxide leak at Baltimore post office

Carbon monoxide leak at Baltimore post office

Listen to this article

A Baltimore fire department spokesman says exhaust fumes from generators outside a post office building are being blamed for sickening employees.

Fire department spokesman Kevin Cartwright says two people were taken to hospitals from the main post office complex and a total of 58 were evaluated at the scene, including the two that were transported. He says elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected after firefighters responded to a report of a fall at the building about 8:30 a.m. Monday, and other employees began reporting symptoms. The conditions of the two were not immediately known.

Cartwright says generators outside the building that activated following a power outage a few hours earlier are believed to be responsible.

Post Office spokeswoman Yvette Singh says operations at the main building were not affected.

Networking Calendar

Submit an entry for the business calendar