The general counsel at the National Labor Relations Board is under fire this week.
General counsel Lafe Solomon participated in talks on the board about Wal-Mart’s social media policy and its legality. The catch? Solomon also held stock in Wal-Mart at the time.
Though Solomon owned only about $18,000 in Wal-Mart stock, the agency’s inspector general is investigating the matter at the urging of Republican members of Congress.
“As a general counsel and career attorney, Mr. Solomon should know federal statute well enough to know when to recuse himself from a possible conflict of interest between his own finances and his work,” Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) wrote in a news release.
Though Solomon sold the stock at the end of February, he participated in meetings on the Wal-Mart issue in January. Solomon’s defense argues that he received no financial benefit from these dealings.
So, here’s our question for you:
What action should the NLRB take against Solomon? How would your company deal with a situation in which a general counsel had a financial conflict of interest?
Leave a comment below or email me.
Need to Know:
- Avon Products Inc. named a new general counsel.
- CVS Caremark has a new general counsel.
- Read about the New York Mets’ general counsel.
- University of Kentucky’s new general counsel is making big bucks.
- The Hispanic National Bar Association appointed a general counsel.
- Pfizer Inc.’s chief litigation counsel is headed to Fannie Mae.
- To get more in-house counsel news, sign up for our FREE monthly email newsletter, In-House Counsel. The newsletter is a compilation of The Daily Record’s coverage of in-house counsel news as well as job listings, movements within the industry and other resources. Click here to sign up today.
- Follow us on Twitter for the In-House news and discussion: @TDRInHouse
- Want the latest on who’s been hired, fired or moving and shaking in between? Head to our Movers and Shakers page to find out.
- For networking events and other happenings this week in Maryland, check out our calendar of events.
- Get the very latest updates from our law reporters on Twitter: @TDRKristi, @Steve_Lash
- Check out The Daily Record on Facebook.