ANNAPOLIS — The U.S. Naval Academy has announced charges against three football players accused of sexually assaulting a female midshipman.
The academy said Wednesday the students have been charged with making a false official statement as well as rape, sexual assault or other sexual misconduct.
Cmdr. John Schofield says the case is still in the pre-trial phase and declined further comment.
Earlier this week, the academy announced that the superintendent decided Article 32 proceedings should be held in the case. They are held to determine if there is evidence to hold a court-martial.
Meanwhile, Maryland Sen. Barbara Mikulski on Wednesday made public a letter to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel calling to increase oversight and accountability of military service academy superintendents in response to increasing rates of sexual assaults.