Who’s to blame for the poor rollout of Maryland’s health care exchange?
That’s the question posed by a number of those in the media in recent weeks and one that Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown, who has led the state’s efforts on the federal Affordable Care Act, seems reluctant to answer.
In a Wednesday interview, Brown rebuffed attempts by WBAL TV’s Jayne Miller to get an answer.
“Right now is not the time to point fingers,” Brown told Miller. “Right now is the time to fix the problem.”
He called Miller’s attempt to get an answer “a drive through interview.”
But others are laying the blame, at least partially, at Brown’s feet.
A Nov. 27 Washington Post editorial called “the state’s rollout, led by Lt. Gov. Anthony G. Brown (D), has been an embarrassment.”
In many ways, the state’s own website has been plagued by many of the same issues as the federal Healthcare.gov site and relatively few people have actually been able to register for plans. Brown said last month he was not aware of potential problems before the state site opened for business on Oct. 1.
Rep. Chris Van Hollen, a Maryland Democrat, said on Meet the Press Sunday there was no denying that Maryland’s site was a problem.
“Maryland is a mess, no doubt about it,” Van Hollen said on Sunday.
Brown, in a television interview last month, also said that nearly 73,000 cancellation notices that went out to Maryland residents weren’t cancellation notices at all but were actually renewal letters.
- Hoyer regrets Obamacare
- Brown: Those are not cancellation notices.
- Health insurance cancelled for 73,000 Marylanders [subscriber access]
- Enrollment up by 500
- Enrollment jumps on health exchange
- Insurance option draws just 1,743 [Subscriber access]
- Maryland Health Connection enrollment climbs, but long way to go