Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Todd Huff website

Councilman: Lewd photo the work of hackers

Huff says Twitter account had been sabotaged

A Baltimore County Councilman said Thursday that an X-rated photo appearing on his Twitter account was the result of a hacking incident.

Councilman Todd Huff, in a phone interview, acknowledged the photo appeared on his account early Thursday morning.

“We were hacked,” said Huff, a first-term Republican seeking re-election.

The graphic photo, posted on April 24 at 2:59 a.m., shows a man partially clad in a towel taking a self-portrait with a cell phone.

“It’s emphatically, definitely not me,” Huff said. “It wasn’t me. I bear no resemblance to the photo.”

Huff said the photo was discovered by someone in his campaign about three hours later.

“We don’t know who hacked us,” said Huff. “People can post anything to your account.”

Huff said he could not explain how others might be able to post the photo. He said “two or three people” have access to the account but he did not specify who had control. He added that the campaign never lost control of the account despite being hacked and that staffers were able to remove the photo themselves.

“I have an investigator looking into it,” Huff said.

When asked if the investigator was hired by the campaign or working through Twitter, Huff replied “I don’t know.”

Huff apologized to his supporters on Twitter and on his Facebook page:

The first-term Republican councilman faces challenges in both the primary and general elections.

In February 2013, Huff was arrested and charged with driving his county vehicle while under the influence. His blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit.

During the arrest, Huff called Baltimore County Police Chief Jim Johnson in an attempt to get out of the arrest. Following the incident, he voluntarily gave up his use of the county-owned Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Two months later, he pleaded guilty to the charge and was sentenced to a suspended sentence of one year in jail. Additionally, he was ordered to abstain from drinking during his two years of supervised probation, complete a 26-week treatment program, and submit to random urinalysis testing.