Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Late nights and early mornings

Litigating cases takes stamina. Days may involve hours in depositions, settlement conferences, arbitration or trials. Nights may be filed with preparation, drafting or researching.

After a marathon mediation session last week, followed by a separate settlement conference that ended minutes before midnight (followed by an hour-and-fifteen-minute commute home), I longed for some quality time with my pillow and bed. During my drive, I envisioned going directly to bed and sleeping for many hours, even going as far as leaving a message for my wife (which she would get in the morning while I slumbered) asking her to take the kids to school in the morning, which is usually my responsibility.

Unfortunately, the mind of a lawyer is impossible to simply turn off and on. I finally got home on the wrong side of 1 a.m. and proceeded to walk the dog, riffle through the mail and re-tuck my sleeping kids into bed. I went to lay down but thoughts relating to my newly drafted agreement came to light; I literally ran out to my car to grab my bag so I could confirm that all of the provisions negotiated were part of the agreement.

After fully satiating my neurosis, I finally climbed back into bed only to realize I was now fully awake. I reviewed all of the day’s email that I missed and realized that a meeting had been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. the next morning. Knowing that I needed some rest before heading out to the office in less than seven hours, I still spent time reading in hopes that I would be able to shake off the ever-present, post-court/negotiation hyper-awareness I felt. I finally went to bed and awoke four-and-a-half hours later. I had the same level of anxiety and was still revved up, so I got the kids ready, got them on their way and arrived at the office before the 8:30 a.m. meeting. This has been my life since I celebrated the arrival of 2014 with Carson Daly on New Year’s Eve. Wake up, work, home, kids, work, sleep, repeat.

Fortunately, the cycle has relented. Unfortunately, my body/mind is still on this cycle of late nights and early mornings. Last year, after the completion of a very long and contentious arbitration proceeding, it took me a couple of weeks to break the cycle. I had to force myself to relax. Through a combination of exercise, cognitive attempts to relax, and social functions (i.e. happy hour), my stress and anxiety levels lowered to a fairly acceptable level.

I look forward to a weekend away from work, centered around time with my family and Peyton Manning’s attempt for a second Super Bowl ring.