FREDERICK — Fort Detrick says it will run criminal background checks on visitors under new security measures the U.S. military is implementing at all its bases.
The checks at the Army post in Frederick will be based on information in FBI criminal and terrorist databases.
Fort Detrick’s emergency services office says the checks will take five to seven minutes, and may slow traffic coming onto the post.
The Frederick News-Post reported Tuesday that Fort Detrick will have the system fully in place by Jan. 5.
The Defense Department announced the new system in August.
The Secretary of Defense recommended the measure after last year’s fatal shooting of 12 workers at the Washington Navy Yard. The shooter had a valid credential to gain entry.