Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Del. Hasan ‘Jay’ Jalisi vigorously disputes the allegation he slapped his daughter, his lawyer says. (The Daily Record/Bryan P. Sears)

Md. delegate removed from committee after protective order hearing

TOWSON — A state delegate has been removed from his committee assignment hours after being ordered to stay away from his daughter for a year by a District Court judge.

Del. Hasan “Jay” Jalisi agreed to a civil consent order that will keep him out of the home where his family lives and away from the campus of Johns Hopkins University, where his daughter is a pre-med student.

Late Monday night, House Speaker Michael Busch announced by email that Jalisi was being reassigned as a result of the court order.

“In light of the action taken by the courts today, the sensitive nature of the issues before the House Judiciary Committee and the best interests of the Maryland House of Delegates, Del. Jay Jalisi has been reassigned to the House Environment & Transportation Committee,” Busch said in a statement.

Busch had met with House leaders earlier in the afternoon. An announcement regarding potential consequences was delayed because Jalisi did not attend the usual 8 p.m. Monday night House session.

Jalisi, a freshman Democrat from Baltimore County, is a co-sponsor on a number of domestic violence and protection order related bills. He was absent from a hearing on those bills two weeks ago.

This is not the first time a delegate has been removed from a committee as a result of a legal entanglement.

In 2013, Busch moved Del. Don Dwyer, R-Anne Arundel County, from the Judiciary Committee to the House Ways and Means Committee after being charged with drunken driving shortly after pleading guilty to operating a boat while intoxicated. Months later, Dwyer was removed from the Ways and Means Committee and not reassigned as he began serving jail time for that second alcohol-related offense.

As part of the order Monday, District Court Judge Sally C. Chester ordered the delegate to not contact his daughter. He was also ordered to relinquish any firearms—standard language in a protective order in Maryland. Charges were not filed in the incident.

“It’s a sad day but nothing is forever,” Chester said. “In time, it may work out. It may not.”

Because Jalisi consented to the order, Chester did not take testimony on the events of the evening two weeks ago or “decide what happened and who is telling the truth,” the judge said.

Former Del. Luiz Simmons, Jalisi’s attorney, said his client does not own any weapons and called the language “standard boilerplate language in situations like this.”

Simmons said his client continues to deny allegations that he slapped his daughter during an argument last month.

“He takes fierce exception to the allegations,” Simmons said.

Jalisi, D-Baltimore County, was at the family home on Feb. 21 in the 11600 block of Greenspring Avenue when allegedly got into an argument with his daughter, a student at Johns Hopkins University, over her boyfriend, according to a Baltimore County Police report obtained by The Daily Record.

Hasan Jalisi told police that he lives in a home in the 11000 block of Reisterstown Road but stays at the home on Greenspring Avenue, near Caves Valley Country Club, on weekends.

Officers responded to the home shortly after 9 p.m. after being called by a friend of the daughter who said she had received a text message “stating she was assaulted by her father,” according to the report.

The delegate’s daughter told police that she and her father argued and he attempted to wrest a laptop computer from her. It was during that struggle that the delegate fell backward. The daughter told police that her father “slapped her in the face,” according to the report.

Hasan Jalisi acknowledged to police that he and his daughter had argued and told police she had become “very disrespectful” and that he did not approve of her boyfriend, according to the report. The delegate alleges that his daughter pushed him to the ground and he denied slapping her in the face, according to the report.

Jalisi’s 13-year-old son and his wife, Azra Jalisi, told police they intervened in the argument.

The son told police that he did not see his father fall. The son told police that he did not witness his father strike his sister but did see him raise his hand to her as if prepared to strike.

Azra Jalisi said she was at the top of the stairs when she saw her husband slap her daughter. The daughter then ran into a bedroom and locked the door, according to a statement contained in the police report.

“It was a family matter,” said Alan H. Silverberg, an attorney representing the daughter.

Silverberg praised the outcome and said he believed part of it was motivated by Jalisi’s desire to avoid sanctions in the House of Delegates.