The lawyer representing women who said maintenance workers demanded sex from them in exchange for basic repairs at public housing units in Baltimore says a settlement of at least $6 million has been reached.
Cary J. Hansel said at a news conference Friday that all victims of sexual harassment in public housing will be eligible for the settlement. Hansel said the settlement amount will range from $6 million to $7.95 million, depending on how many join the lawsuit.
The lawsuit included accounts by women who alleged they had been victimized by handymen whose neglect resulted in squalid conditions including leaks, insect infestations and dangerous mold growth.
Housing Authority Commissioner Paul T. Graziano has said the agency will make sure this doesn’t happen again.