The Johns Hopkins Hospital has once again earned high marks in U.S. News & World Report’s annual hospital rankings, but moved from third in the nation to fourth on this year’s honor roll.
The top five hospitals for 2016-2017 are the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, the Cleveland Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Hopkins, and UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Hopkins once dominated the list, nabbing the top spot in 22 out of the first 24 years the ranking were published.
The hospital earned particularly high marks for its departments of rheumatology and neurology and neurosurgery.
Hopkins also took the top spot among Maryland hospitals; rounding out the statewide top ten are:
2. University of Maryland Medical Center;
3. Mercy Medical Center; Sinai Hospital of Baltimore (tie);
5. MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center;
6. MedStar Union Memorial Hospital Center; University of Maryland St. Joseph Hospital Center (tie);
8. Anne Arundel Medical Center; MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center (tie);
10. MedStar Harbor Hospital.