Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Md. firefighters on lunch break discover carbon monoxide leak

LANHAM — A Maryland sandwich shop with dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide got lucky when two hungry firefighters walked in the door for lunch.

The Prince George’s County Fire Department said in a statement that two firefighters stopped in a Subway during their lunch break on Friday when their portable carbon monoxide detectors started going off.

The firefighters immediately called for additional resources. Responders found that an exhaust vent from the boiler/HVAC unit had broken and was sending carbon monoxide directly into the store.

Firefighters turned the unit off and used fans to bring down the carbon monoxide levels. No one was injured. The fire department says it appears the unit had just turned on for the day.