Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Woman who lost 6 relatives in Md. mansion fire becomes advocate

 

WASHINGTON — A woman who lost six family members in an Annapolis house fire has become a fire safety advocate.

WTOP-FM reports that Sher Grogg lost her brother, Don Pyle, in a January 2015 house fire. Pyle’s wife, Sandy, and four grandchildren ranging in ages from 6 to 8 were also killed. The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical problem.

Grogg has made a video for the fire safety awareness group, Common Voices, in which she shares her story. Grogg says that while the house had smoke detectors and an alarm system, it had no sprinklers. She urges anyone who is building a new house to include them.

Common Voices has launched a holiday safety campaign called “Do it For Don” in memory of Don Pyle.