FREDERICK — The Maryland State Department of Education says it was not the source of a data breach that exposed personal information of about 1,000 former Frederick County students.
The department released a statement Monday contradicting one that Frederick County Public Schools issued Sunday. The county statement said an investigation indicated the information may have been stolen from the state, citing an attack on the department’s computers.
The department says that was an unsuccessful attack in 2012, at least two years after the breach that exposed the student data.
Frederick County Schools Superintendent Theresa Alban said in a video statement Monday that it’s impossible to identify the source.
Frederick County schools announced last week that the information about students who were enrolled in 2005 and 2006 had been stolen sometime before 2010.