SM+P Architects has been a leader in historic preservation in the Baltimore region for more than 30 years.
SM+P’s roots go back to the early 1980s when the firm – which was then Walter Schamu & Associates – moved into Federal Hill and worked mostly on residential projects. By 1984, it started projects in historic preservation, renovation and rehabilitation that have made their mark in Baltimore architecture.
In February 2014, the company was renamed SM+P for Schamu and two other partners, Anthony Machowski and Charles Patterson. Schamu is president, Machowski is senior counsel, and Patterson is vice president and director of design.
Among SM+P’s high-profile projects in the region are:
- The restoration and updating of the 1884 landmark Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in a $15 million project that included extensive work on the upper and lower roofs and the lantern, and a state-of-the-art locomotive and rolling stock restoration facility.
- The transformation of the 1911 landmark Bromo Seltzer Tower into studio space for artists. The work in the $1.2 million project added interior fire stairs so the building could be used, new lighting, an elevator and exterior renovations.
- The conversion of the 1884 B&O Oakland Station in Oakland into a visitor center that includes a theater and museum.
- Helping to renovate the center field picnic area at Camden Yards, making it ADA-accessible and installing a two-level roof deck with a covered bar.