The John and Frances Angelos Law Center, University of Baltimore

The John and Frances Angelos Law Center opened in 2013. It is part of the University of Baltimore campus in central Baltimore.

The 12-story facility, at the northeast corner of North Charles Street and West Mount Royal Avenue, houses all of the school’s clinics, centers and classrooms and provides many options for indoor and outdoor study. The light-filled building was designated LEED Platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council. Interior walls are mostly glass, to facilitate collaboration and transparency as we go about the business of teaching and studying law. Bright citrus colors and interesting angles, including several open spiral staircases, make the space inviting and invigorating.

The University of Baltimore picked Behnisch Architekten of Stuttgart, Germany, along with Baltimore’s Ayers/Saint/Gross on the design following an international competition. Construction started in June of 2010.
The building features a central atrium with lots of natural light, greenery and areas for quiet contemplation and group interaction. There is a 300-seat mock courtroom and event space, 15 classrooms, nearly 30 large- and small-group study areas as well as the 32,000-square-foot library.

It is designed to be one of the greenest buildings in Baltimore, and there are a number of environmentally friendly features as the building is designed to capture and spread natural light as much as possible. During the three years of construction, project partners recycled at least 50% of construction materials. There is a rainwater harvesting system that captures and repurposes runoff and reduces overall water use.

Property Details
Name of the Place
The John and Frances Angelos Law Center, University of Baltimore
Address
1401 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone
(410) 837-4468
Website
https://law.ubalt.edu/about/news/newbuilding/