The Power Plant is a historic building that is an anchor of Baltimore Inner Harbor. Built in 1900, it was the main source of power for a streetcar system. It then served as a central steam plant for the Consolidated Gas, Electric Light and Power Company, a predecessor to Baltimore Gas and Electric.
After ceasing operation as a power plant in 1973, the building sat vacant for about a decade before The Cordish Companies became involved. Its corporate world headquarters has been located in the building for several decades.
The building has also become one of the leading mixed-use districts in the United States. It features loft offices, restaurants and retail space in the renovated historic building that still features the original smokestacks. It has been cited internationally as a model for successful urban revitalization.
Based on its success, The Cordish Cos. led the development of the adjacent Pier IV retail, office and entertainment building.
The building has housed a variety of tenants as part of its redevelopment. An indoor theme park, Six Flags Power Plant, operated from 1985 to 1989. The country’s first ESPN Zone restaurant opened in the space in 1998. It closed in 2010 and was replaced by Phillips Seafood which moved from the nearby Harborplace pavilion.
Hard Rock Café opened in 1997 and the building features a large neon guitar aside one of the old smokestacks.
|Name of the Place|
|The Power Plant|
|601 E Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21202|