Maryland colleges and universities mostly maintained their positions in U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings of the nation’s best universities Monday.
The rankings are considered one of the best guides for discerning the best schools and considered often by students and their parents during their college search.
Whether schools will admit it or not — often they do not — these rankings carry a great deal of weight. Schools will make changes to their processes for admissions, faculty hiring, tuition and fundraising based on the U.S. News rankings.
For example, alumni giving makes up 5% of a university’s overall score. That score is based on the percentage of living alumni who gave back to their school in a given year, not the overall monetary amount.
Colleges have adjusted and are working to get young alumni used to the idea of giving even the tiniest amount back to the school every year.
In this year’s rankings, Maryland’s schools did not see much movement. They may have gained or dropped a spot or two but, for the most part, are within the same tiers of peers as they have been for the last few years.
The notable exception is Towson University, which because of its reclassification by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education is now considered a national university, rather than a regional university.
Here are how Maryland’s university’s ranked this year.
- Johns Hopkins University: 10 (Last year, 10)
- University of Maryland, College Park: 64 (63)
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County 166 (165)
- Towson University: 197
- Morgan State University: 293-381 (Schools in this range are listed alphabetically)
- University of Maryland, Eastern Shore: 293-381
National liberal arts colleges
- United States Naval Academy: 17 (22)
- St. John’s College: 64 (61)
- St. Mary’s College of Maryland: 92 (95)
- Washington College: 105 (108)
- Goucher College: 111 (116)
Regional Universities (North Region)
- Loyola University Maryland: 4 (5)
- McDaniel College: 22
- Mount St. Mary’s University: 42 (41)
- Hood College: 48 (43)
- Notre Dame of Maryland University: 59 (81)
- Salisbury University: 75 (87)
- Stevenson University: 75 (81)
- Frostburg State University: 108 (126)
- Bowie State University: 129-170
- Coppin State University: 129-170
- University of Baltimore: 129-170
- Washington Adventist University: 129-170