Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Baker takes charge of troubled Prince George’s as executive

Baker takes charge of troubled Prince George’s as executive

Listen to this article

UPPER MARLBORO — is set to take the oath of office as the new .

He replaces , who’s been indicted on charges. Johnson was led away from his home in handcuffs last month, accused of tampering with evidence of possible bribes from developers.

Baker is a and former state delegate who ran against Johnson in 2002 and 2006. He says he wants to improve transparency in county government and end its “pay for play” political culture.

Baker will be sworn in Monday morning. He told The Associated Press in a preinaugural interview that he expects quite a bit of turnover in county government. He says the reputation of Prince George’s has taken a hit in recent weeks but that people view it as a place with a lot of potential.