Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Stargazing from within Old St. Paul’s

The stars have aligned at Old St. Paul’s Church on Charles and Saratoga Streets. You need to look no further than the ceiling of the beautiful downtown church.

That’s where painters recently installed a small constellation of golden glimmers, fulfilling original design plans for the church set forth in 1856, the year the present building opened.

The historic Episcopal Parish this past weekend held a ceremony to mark its grand reopening following three months of restoration work to the walls and lighting.

Above the altar, interwoven with majestic wooden beams, painters added the spray of stars to highlight the blue background. The walls were painted a subtle yellow tint to compliment the church’s Italian Romanesque style and Tiffany windows.

An active parish with a full Sunday School program, its members have also included a famous roster, Episcopal Diocese of Maryland officials say. They include former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland Gov. William Donald Schaefer, Samuel Chase, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and George Armistead, who commanded Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.