Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Report: Weinstein reaches tentative $25M deal with accusers

Report: Weinstein reaches tentative $25M deal with accusers

Listen to this article
Harvey Weinstein, center, arrives for a court hearing, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019 in New York. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)
, center, arrives for a court hearing on Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, in New York. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

NEW YORK — Harvey Weinstein and his former film studio’s board have reached a tentative $25 million settlement that would end nearly every sexual misconduct lawsuit brought against him and his company, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

The Times cited a half-dozen lawyers in its report, some of whom spoke about the proposed terms on the condition of anonymity.

More than 30 actresses and former Weinstein employees, who have sued the movie mogul for accusations ranging from sexual misconduct to rape, have agreed to the deal, according to the lawyers.

Weinstein would avoid paying any of his own money and he would not be required to admit any wrongdoing as part of the deal. Insurance companies representing the Weinstein Company would cover the settlement’s cost, the Times reported.

Representatives for Weinstein declined to comment to the Times.

The proposed settlement has gotten preliminary approval from the major parties involved. It would require court approval and a final signoff before moving forward.

The settlement’s terms remain uncertain. Eighteen of the alleged victims would split $6.2 million, with no individual receiving more than $500,000. A separate $18.5 million would go toward those involved in a class-action case, the New York attorney general’s suit and any future claimants, the Times reported.

Actress Katherine Kendall, 50, said she agreed to the terms of the settlement because she didn’t want to stop other plaintiffs from receiving recompense.

“I don’t love it, but I don’t know how to go after him,” she told the Times. “I don’t know what I can really do.”

Weinstein is scheduled to be tried on rape and sexual assault charges on Jan. 6. His bail was increased from $1 million to $5 million on Wednesday for allegedly mishandling his electronic ankle monitor.

He has pleaded not guilty to charges that he raped a woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and performed a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.

Judge James Burke warned the disgraced movie mogul that he’ll face jail if other issues crop up.

Weinstein, 67, leaned on a walker as he came and went from a New York City courthouse for the bail hearing, looking as frail and pained as he did at a court appearance last week.

Weinstein’s lawyer said that he is having back surgery Thursday to relieve pain from an August car crash and that he will recover in time for the Jan. 6 start of his trial on rape and sexual assault charges.

“If you have any further medical issues, the court will not be terribly understanding,” Burke said, cautioning Weinstein against any last-minute surprises as the trial draws near.

Weinstein, sounding calm and respectful, indicated the surgery and new bail arrangement would help ensure his appearance at his trial.

“This ensures I am here Jan. 6,” Weinstein said. “This is a good thing for you.”

Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to charges he raped a woman in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and performed a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.

He had been free on $1 million bail and maintains that any sexual activity was consensual.

Weinstein’s lawyer, Donna Rotunno, said that he is “looking forward” to the trial and that they plan an aggressive defense with vigorous cross-examination. She said those tactics shouldn’t be viewed as victim-shaming.

“Just because someone makes a claim doesn’t make it true,” Rotunno said.

For the new bail, Burke offered three options under reforms to New York’s bail system that are set to take effect on Jan. 1.

Other than paying $5 million cash, Burke said Weinstein could meet his bail obligation by either putting up $2 million through a bail bondsman or using collateral to secure 10% — or $5 million — of a $50 million bond with collateral.

Weinstein’s defense team chose the bail bondsman option, enlisting Ira Judelson, whose clients have included mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor and former International Monetary Fund honcho Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

One of Judelson’s associates outside the courthouse wore a sweatshirt with the slogan, “Got Bail?”

Rotunno said the $1 million that Weinstein previously posted and other assets will go toward the new bail.

Associated Press reporter Michael R. Sisak contributed to this story.